Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 28 oz can green enchilada sauce or make your own (see below)
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 1/4 cup onion, diced and sautéed in butter
- 1 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- 2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 4 oz green salsa (red works ok too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional garnish: avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro
- In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth.
- When broth starts to simmer add the enchilada sauce, and bring back to simmer/light boil
- Add half and half, and cream cheese, stir until cream cheese disappears and add the jack cheese.
- Add green salsa and onion, stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with optional garnishes, including crispy fried low carb tortilla strips
Green Enchilada Sauce
- 16 oz diced green chiles (4 x 4 oz cans)… You can add some jalapeno for some heat, if desired
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp onion, minced
- 2 cup chicken or vegetable broth (water works too)
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional for thickening)
- Blend the chiles (with any liquid in the can) until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the cooking oil, cumin, garlic, and onion to a medium sauce pot. Stir and cook over medium heat until it begins to simmer and bubble up.
- Continue cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and chiles to the spice mix in the sauce pot. Whisk until everything is evenly combined.
- Bring the sauce back to a simmer, then add salt to taste.
- If you are using the xanthan gum, add now and mix well…do not use too much.