These taste like sweet potato fries but with 1/3 the carbs. So good, and pretty simple, but you do need a sharp peeler to get that skin off.
Use this same recipe or leftover fries to make a pumpkin hash. Recipe at the bottom.
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 2 tsp cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Season as desired (option below):
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Using a sharp knife, slice the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds and pulp.
- Slice the two ends off of each half of pumpkin. Then slice each half in half.
- Using a sharp vegetable peeler, peel the pumpkin pieces. Slice the peeled pieces into 1/2″ fries.
- Place the pumpkin fries in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let the fries soak for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- When fries are finished soaking, preheat the oven to 425°. Line two or more baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Drain the fries, and then pat dry with paper towels.
- Fill a large zip-top bag with the dried fries, and then top with cornstarch and seasoning if desired. Close the bag and shake to cover the fries.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and then toss to coat or wait and spray fries on baking pan.
- Spread fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, you want them soft but not floppy.
- I prefer to finish them with another 10 minutes in the air fryer.
Top with parmesan & parsley or prepare a dip for serving. I like a balsamic aioli with mine.
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Making pumpkin hash –
- Pumpkin or pumpkin fries, diced (precooked)
- Onions, diced
- Peppers, diced
- Celery, diced
- Any other vegetable you can think of
- Sausage, corned beef, hamburger (Any other meat of choice)
- Cook meat, add veggies… sauté until veggies are cooked to preferred doneness (you might need a little butter or fats, depending on meat)
- Season to taste if needed
Very good as a veggie dish too, pumpkin, onions, mushrooms and peppers…. use what every you like.
Leave a Reply