I am not a huge refried bean fan, I don’t need them with every taco Tuesday or Mexican food dish, but sometimes I miss them or just need a good side dish. I know not everyone wants to eat soy for clean eating and inflammation purposes…but, these taste just like regular refried beans and the average person would never be able to tell the difference. They are wonderful.
Black soy beans have 1 net carb per 1/2 cup (130g) compared to 30 in the same amount of pinto beans.
The key to perfection with this recipe is to blend until smooth, they have a gritty weird texture if not blended enough. They will become smooth though, I promise. I would not try to mash or blend by hand.
Refried Beans (Black Soy Beans)
- 2 Tbsp butter, oil, or bacon grease
- 2 cans Black Soy Beans (Drained and rinsed)
- 2 Tbsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Beef Better Than Bullion paste (optional for flavor)
- 2 tsp Lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Milk, cream, or beef broth for texture
- Onion -finely diced
- Cilantro -to taste
- Cheese – garnish
- Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook garlic (and onion, if using) until brown 4 to 5 minutes. Add beef paste, if using.
- Stir beans, cumin, chili powder, and salt into garlic and cook until beans are thoroughly heated and soft, about 10-15 minutes (to the point the beans mash easily, covering to steam them will help). Stir occasionally.
- Blend in food processor or with immersion blender. Add small amounts of liquid to thin if desired. This takes more time than I’d anticipated, they will become smooth when blended enough.
- Add lime juice and season to taste. Stir until combined.
- They reheat well, but may need more liquid as they thicken considerably when cool.