Maintaining keto long term is all about substitutions. There are the obvious ones like sugar substitutes and flour substitutes….There are so many more that make life easy and bearable.
Sandwiches – You can put your favorite sandwich fixing on all kinds of things.
- Keto breads like fathead bagels, cloud bread and biscuits
- Waffles or Chaffles make a simple bread option
- Lettuce – Romaine and butter lettuce hold up really well, but any lettuce works.
- Other vegetables can work too, cucumber slices, bell peppers…
- 90 second bread
- Cheese slices – Just put your favorite fillings between 2 slices of cheese.
- Cut up your ingredient and eat it from a bowl. This is great for things like a Reuben.
Tacos – I love tacos and there are still so many ways to eat them.
- Lettuce – Fill a leaf with all your ingredients and wrap it up
- Cheese shell – Simple instructions
- Fried “chalupa” shell – Recipe & Instructions
- Salad – make a salad with all of your taco ingredients
- If you aren’t super strict there are low carb tortilla like Mission that only have 6 net carbs. These are not “keto” because they contain wheat, but they can fit your macros if you want.
- Zoodles – Zucchini noodles, store bought or homemade
- Spaghetti squash
- Shiratake noodles – Lots of brands like Miracle Noodles or Pasta Zero (found in the produce section)
- Konjac noodles – Brands like Healthy Noodle or Skinny Pasta
If you aren’t strict and you consume soy, you can replace beans in most recipes with black soy beans. Refried beans for example.
Pizza – Some delicious options
- Fathead crust
- Cheese crust – Make this the same way as the cheese shell about, only leave it flat
- Vegetables – Fill a portabello mushroom, a zucchini boat, or top eggplant rounds.
- You can put everything in a bowl and microwave it for a quick pizza bowl, also good as a dip with pork rinds.
Cauliflower – can replace potatoes in “potato” salad, cauliflower tots or mashed cauliflower. You can also replace rice and make pizza crust or “mac” & cheese with it. There are so many options
Zucchini – besides the zoodles, you can slice it thin and make lasagna, use in place of tortilla for enchiladas or make zucchini fries.
Leave a Reply