Finding a good tortilla or taco shell on keto has been hard. I have made a bunch and they either don’t taste good, or they are so fragile they can’t hold my taco fillings. I use low carb tortilla on occasion, but would rather avoid the wheat where I can. These were easy, tasty and I can imagine all kinds of possibilities. Scroll to the bottom for dessert ideas.
Chalupa (Taco) Shell or Fry Bread
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- ¾ cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup bacon grease (or frying oil/butter)
**You could use other seasonings for different flavors
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt mozzarella in microwave for one minute.
- Add egg and almond flour. Mix until smooth, reheat if needed.
- Separate dough into 4 portions and roll out into circles. Poke small fork holes to keep puffing to a minimum
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Heat bacon grease (or oil) in a small pan on medium-high.
- Add chalupas to grease (or oil), fry 1 minute per side or until desired crispness.
- Remove from pan and lay on paper towel to soak up the excess grease. Fold the dough(while hot) in half to solidify the shape. Repeat will all rounds
- Fill with toppings.
- While still hot and pliable, you could gently push into a bowl to make a taco salad too.
Would also be good rolled extra thin and then fried in small pieces as chips, or rolled in cinnamon/sweetener while hot and greasy.
This is a chalupa shell, covered in cinnamon sweetener, sugar free hazelnut spread, whipped cream and blueberries. BEST EVER!!
This looks so good!, Do you have crispy tostada recipe?.
You could roll this thinner and it should end up crispy when fried. I have made “tortilla” chips with it like that.
Nutrition info please.
It depends on the ingredients you use and the serving size. I suggest using your macro tracker to run the numbers.