My all time favorite cake growing up was a depression era chocolate cake called a wacky cake, when I quit carbs I was afraid I would never get to eat it again. This is very close and I will happily make and eat this one for special occasions. I am still tweaking it and you may notice changes over time.
This cake comes out of the oven VERY dark, it will look burnt…it’s not, trust me.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed (You can swap 1 egg for 3 Tbsp)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oil (oil of your choice)
- 1 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk the dry ingredients to remove lumps.
- Add liquids and mix until smooth
- Spread the batter into a well greased 8 x 8 (or 9 x 9) baking pan.
- Place in the middle rack of your oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes clean. (This always seems to take more time than stated)
- Allow to cool completely and frost (I frost with my sweet cream cheese topping, but if you want to keep it dairy free, there are other options out there)
(If you want to remove it from the pan for presentation purposes, I suggest lining pan with greased parchment paper. I also suggest greasing cupcake wrappers)
What size pan did you use? I'm trying this out and want to make sure I get it right. lol
I used an 8×8. Sorry for the slow response.
This was surprising delicious, almost like a dark pudding cake. It took me a total of 35 minutes before the toothpick was mostly clean coming out. Mine is only about 1″ thick and it ain’t pretty, but it tastes good. Could almost rival some brownie recipes. Thanks for a good hack!!
Glad you liked it.
How many carbs in one serving?
2.3 net carbs in 1/9 of cake. I always suggest running your own numbers though, we might use different products.
I just made this and it was a complete fail. I used grapeseed oil? I used the correct amount of ALL the ingredients…. I got a weird moosh. I wonder if I needed two cups of almond flour, not one? just a terrible mess…
I’ve never had a problem with this, it always has turned out well.